April 15, 2009

Justin's Homemade Roasted Pecan Butter

As long as I can remember the only food my son wanted to eat for lunch was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. After he was diagnosed with celiac disease and had to give up gluten and dairy, I indulged this food craving in order to keep him from feeling deprived.

Recently his
IgG delayed food allergy testing revealed high reactions to this favorite food- peanut butter. It's never easy making changes in our diets, especially when you have to give up your most favorite food, but he did very well.

I began to search out other nut butters and found he likes almond butter and then decided it was time to learn to make our own with pecans. I was surprised how much he likes it. I find him in the kitchen eating this by the spoonfuls.


This recipe is great for peanut butter sensitive individuals that want an alternative to peanut butter.

Justin's Homemade Roasted Pecan Butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Roast 2 cups pecan pieces on a cookie sheet for 3 minutes. Stir and continue to roast 3 minutes more.
Cool nuts then place in the food processor and grind . Add 2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil and 2 teaspoons agave nectar and continue to process until you have a creamy nut butter.



3 comments:

  1. I have never made my own nut butter. Good idea.

    Check out my blog tomorrow morning. I will have an award for you. Do what you would like with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of roasting the nuts first to bring out their flavor. It sounds delicious. I wonder how it works in baked goods. My husband can't have peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,
    It worked fine in my Peanut butter pecan oatmeal cookies, but I think in some recipes you would need more oil to make the pecan butter a smoother consistency like peanut butter. If you try it please let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

I am made richer by your being here. Please leave us a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin