August 27, 2008

Kid-Friendly Gluten & Dairy-free Breakfast Casserole


Wow ! This is delicious and very filling. We like it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! I made this for dinner and reheated it in the toaster oven the next day for breakfast and lunch! To do this, you will need to make two casseroles.

The original recipe wasn't dairy-free so I made a few substitutions to fill our needs. I like sweet potatoes better than white so that was changed, too. My youngest son doesn't like onions, but tolerates onion powder just fine. Maybe one day he will grow to this.

To my surprise, my son who has never liked a casserole or food where ingredients are unidentifiable said, "I could eat this for every meal". And we did. His opinion deems this recipe very blog worthy. Thanks to Kids Health for the original recipe.

Since I would like to be soy-free, I made one pie without "cheese" and used egg yolks instead of the whites to make it look yellow like cheese. For the sausage, I substituted turkey bacon and two slices of ham.


Kid-Friendly Gluten & Dairy-Free Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients:
oil for pan
2 cups grated sweet potatoes
1/4 tsp. onion powder
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance Buttery Spread, melted
3/4 cup cooked light Turkey Maple Sausage, or uncured turkey bacon
4 eggs
4 egg whites (works well with just yolks, too)
a hand full of vegan soy cheese (optional)
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried parsley

Crust:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218 degrees Celsius).
Coat pie pan with oil
Mix grated potatoes and onion powder.
Press potato mixture evenly over the bottom and sides of the pie pan.
Pour melted "butter" evenly over the potatoes.
Bake for 20 minutes. Watch carefully not to burn.

Filling:
Spread cooked sausage evenly over the crust.
Sprinkle cheese evenly over the sausage.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs, egg whites (or yolks), and spices.
Pour egg mixture of the cheese.
Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees Celsius). Bake for 30 minutes or until the center is set and a knife inserted comes out clean.

(I forgot to lower the temperature and cooked mine for 20 minutes. It came out great anyway. This is a very forgiving recipe and lends itself to substitutions very well.)

Serves: 6

20 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. We love hot breakfast so we will be sure to try it out. Thanks for sharing it. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this over the weekend. My husband said it reminded him of a McGriddle (I know, we haven't convinced him YET to stop eating at McDonalds) because the sweet potatoes had a sweetness. We didn't have sausage so I threw bacon in with the eggs and eliminated the cheese. Even without the extras, it was yummy. I will definitely make this again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it, too. I don't do cheese
    anymore either and we like it just as much.
    Sometimes I add a bit of salt, depending on the type of meat we add. Now my kids want to know "What's a McGriddle?" They think that's cool. Thanks for taking time to let us know how it worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A McGriddle is sausage and egg inside of a pancake sandwich. The pancake has syrup on it for sweetness and he said the sweet potatoes added that sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your son sounds like my brother-in-law, he doesn't like onions but tolerates onion salt or powder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a similar recipe called potato crust quiche that I haven't made in a long time. I like the idea of using sweet potatoes. I'll have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what's funny, I can understand the onion thing, I actually like the taste but can't STAND the texture so either chopped to smitherines and saute'd or onion powder for me! Good idea with the eggs yolks, I've been wondering if there was a way to use them instead of wasting when a different recipe calls for whites- I have a bunch frozen cause I couldn't throw them out. Will see if it works to thaw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks. This is just the kind of recipe I was looking for to make when we have family in town. I look forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are welcome, Kristin. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GF DF SF ! Wow! Where have you been for my last 3 years?! Glad to be aboard. I've become very adventuresome in substitutions, but have waned and become very weary of the thought of cooking of late... just as my (GF DF SF) son is beginning to eat like a teenager! Bad timing, but, wow, thanks for being there. I'll check out everything you have to offer! All 3 of us (husband, son and wife/mom) are in this triple whammy boat together.
    Heather in TX

    ReplyDelete
  11. This recipe was DELICIOUS!!! We are a GF DF trying to be SF household .We just tried our hand at our first attempt to do a month's worth of cooking and making freezer meals, and we made two of these for breakfasts. This morning we had our first slice and wow!!! Amazing taste! The sweetness of the sweet potatoes really adds depth along with the spices you called for. We opted not to use cheese and we made our own sausages which we crumbled in and this is officially going to be a keeper recipe! My 12 month old absolutely loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Minnesota Mommy, Thanks for your kind words and taking time to let me know how it turned out. It makes my day to hear that your 12 month old enjoyed it too!

    I like your idea of make freezer meals. It is good to know that it freezes well.

    Best wishes,

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to make the crusts tonight and cook the filling in the morning - I hope it works okay! I'm making 2 for my MOPS group tomorrow...one with dairy and the other without. I'll let you know how it goes!

    Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm making this for my MOPS group tomorrow, too! I just found your blog today and am so excited. I am newly GF/DF/SF and as a young mom of 2 I've been overwhelmed by the change. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Myronettte - Thank you for coming to visit. I hope it works the way you want it to. I think it will do just fine.

    Mary K - It makes me smile to think of all the happy MOPS groups eating this dish! I am glad this helps you. It can be overwhelming but it is definitely worth the changes to feel good again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved it! The dairy-free version was equally as good as the dairy version. And since I was making two, I used whites in the dairy version and the yokes in the dairy-free one. So good, I want to eat it every day! Thanks for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah! Thanks Myronette for coming back to comment and let us know how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Man...it's been a rough week over here. Yolks. Sheesh. :)

    I posted this recipe on my blog and linked back to this post - hope that's okay. I really liked it - it's going in my book as a staple!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just came across this blog and love it! I have a 2 year old with MSPI and gluten sensitivity and you have great kid-friendly recipes. Thank you so much, I will be sure to make this cassarole for Christmas morning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Myronette! Great post! I love how you started prep the night before and were able to bake it quickly the next morning.

    To Love My Baby Girl - Thanks so much! I am happy you found things here your little one can eat.

    ReplyDelete

I am made richer by your being here. Please leave us a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin