August 27, 2008
With all of my food sensitivities, it has been difficult to find a bar that fit my needs. My kids have loved Lara Bars, but the almonds have kept me away far too long. This recipe was adapted from Elana's Power Bars; I think she deserves the crown. Thanks Elana. I am deeply grateful. These are heavenly.
The Best Ever Gluten-Free Power Bars
2 cups pecans (raw)
1/2 cup flax meal (Bob's Red Mill is gluten-free)
1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
1/2 cup organic peanut butter, pecan butter or other nut butter
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
4 drops stevia
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1/4 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (use more if you like)
1. Place pecans in food processor and pulse a few times.
2. Add flax meal, shredded coconut, peanut butter and salt and pulse to mix.
3. In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil over very low heat. (This may not be necessary. If it's hot weather the coconut oil will be melted already and may be added directly into the processor). Stir stevia and agave nectar into the oil (or add to processor)
4. Add coconut oil mixture to food processor and pulse ingredients to form a paste
5. Press mixture into a 8 X 8 glass baking dish
6. Chill in the refrigerator for approximately 1 hour to harden
7. In a small saucepan, melt chocolate chips over very low heat, stirring continuously
8. Spread melted chocolate over the bars; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens
9. Remove from the refrigerator, cut into bars and be happy.