March 23, 2012

Healing Journey - Doing the Dance

Today I thought I would share a little about healing patterns I have observed in my body.  While all of us on our healing journey wish we could make all steps forward without any steps backwards.  Quite often in reality, healing is not that linear. Most of the time in my healing journey I find I may make progress much like a dance routine.  I step out with the right foot and for whatever reason I need to step back, take a breathe and try again. While all of this is going on my eyes are open and intuitively I make adjustments to get up to the next step. 

Then other times I get caught up in the music and forget which step to take next. It is in these times it is as if I am carefully maneuvering each foot on a tightrope trying very hard to stay balanced only to step off the rope and fall into the safety net (my bed).

I remind myself that progress is not measured in days or even weeks for that matter, but measured from the start of the journey as compared to where I am now. 

I have been taking big steps out in a new direction with a new therapy to rehabilitate the nervous system and this week I have experienced a "healing crisis".  Now, I am picking myself up and dusting myself off. 

I really don't like that I can not perform the dance given to me with perfect precision. It's not my will that is weak, but my body is dictating the order of my steps. At least for this week I am needing to slow dance and quietly hum the tunes of my best-loved bedtime collections.  I want to push my body to perform to a fast tempo, but it is hearing another tune, a much slower and peaceful melody.

I have needed rest as the therapy is resetting my nervous system.  That's a lot of work to do but my body has wisdom created by God to heal and restore.  It is nice to find new doctors who are pioneers in healing and having them dance along the healing path with me.

How are you this week?


 


6 comments:

  1. I know exactly where you are coming from. It seems we take 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

    I really think this is part of the healing process.

    I was doing great... then this week my tongue started a slight burn, not as bad as before so I have made some progress. I am still taking the NAC along with other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like a test of the mind. Don't you think? We have to keep our eyes ahead and focus on the progress. The NAC really works well for me, too. Hope you get this resolved soon. It must be annoying to deal with.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful way to put it, Debbie. It is so important to listen to our bodies and go at a pace that is both physically and emotionally right for us. Healing is not one-dimensional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe....thank you so much Heather. I am learning everyday how smart my body really is.

      Delete
  3. So what is this new therapy you speak of??

    ReplyDelete

I am made richer by your being here. Please leave us a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin