May 10, 2012

Everyday Dutch-Oven Roasted Organic Chicken


If you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you probably know I am overcoming health challenges and among those is fatigue. It is never easy living with limits no matter what they are and what age we might be. As a parent I know I must give my children limits and sometimes they are not always readily accepted.

I suppose I am no different than my children in that I don't like my energy limits.. Pushing at them, which so often is my natural inclination, is not the way to heal.. Everything you were taught in life to be successful - keep going and don't give up, just try a little harder...will not promote healing in this case. The only way to avoid the vicious cycle of pushing and crashing is to discipline yourself to rest and build up reserves.

One day my acupuncturist explained to me in his most kind and gentle manner that we all are given energy from our parents and have the energy we were born with, but when that energy is gone... well...then we leave this earth.  Wow, it was really shocking to hear these words, but deep inside I knew he spoke the truth to me.  It was one of those turning point moments for me.  Words can be incredibly  powerful in creating change.. Thankfully, I have found alternative practitioners who have taught me and given me guidance to help me heal just when I needed to hear it.

There is one who speaks like the piercings of a sword, but the tongue of the wise promotes health. ~ Proverbs 12:18

My energy is to be used for healing and restoring my body, therefore I have been on a mission to simplify my meals and time in my kitchen.  I had heard many rave reviews about dutch -oven cooking and finally a few months ago I purchased a 4.5 quart cast iron dutch oven by Lodge.  I really agonized about this purchase thinking it might be just another pretty pot that would take up space in my cabinet.  Boy, was I wrong! Move over crock pot....the dutch oven is here to stay!

The flavors of my everyday foods come alive in the oven when roasted in this cast iron dutch oven. It is fun to toss in whatever I have on hand at the moment and in an hour or less it is like magic has happened to these everyday foods.

I am sharing a very easy recipe that you can follow or create a delicious meal with what is in season or whatever you like.  Carrots are great.  My husband and I love brussels sprouts, too.

It is a good thing to have time to sit down and prop my feet up while we wait for this naturally gluten-free and grain-free meal.

Do you have tips to share how you simplify your cooking?  I would love to know.
.


Everyday Dutch-Oven Roasted Organic Chicken

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit

Oil the bottom of dutch oven and layer chopped onions in the bottom of the pot.  Place the whole organic chicken (approximately 4 pounds) on top of the onions.  Wash, peel and slice sweet potatoes into slices that are not too thin and lay them around the chicken. The sweet potato slices I have pictured here are almost too thin for the cooking time, but you get the idea, right?  Sprinkle the chicken with sea salt and your favorite spices.  I happened to use sea salt and oregano.  Then I added chopped celery. Sprinkle a little oil on top of the chicken. Then put the lid on the dutch oven and put in the oven to bake for approximately 1 hour or until done.


Notes:
I am not sure how this recipe would work without the Cast Iron Dutch Oven, but maybe if you do not own one you could drop a few hints.  Mother's Day is coming up this week! :)

I love my 4.5 quart size,. but it is very heavy for me to lift with my tiny wrists. I could not handle a larger pot.  I have learned it is easier for me to place the bottom of the dutch oven without the lid first and then once it is in the oven I put the lid on.  Whatever works for you.

Washing it....well, my husband has come to my rescue many times. He doesn't mind this task, because he loves the flavor of everything I have made in this dutch oven.


5 comments:

  1. That looks so good Debbie!! I love brussel sprouts too.

    Good to see you blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,

      Thank you. It is good to finally feel like writing again!

      Delete
  2. MMMMMmmmmmm It looks so moist and tender. I am going to try this the next time I make chicken. I just had chicken last week and Hubs grilled it for me.

    Thank goodness for our Hubs!! Mine does a lot of cooking on the grill so I don't have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Journey with Candida,

    Hope you like it! Love that hubby is grilling and you do not have to cook! Such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, I am so happy to have found your blog and can't wait to dig in further into the recipes that you have shared. I was diagnosed with Addison's Disease in November. I am hoping that through changing my diet, I might be able to help support my body in this new process. I also am a homeschool mom! Nice to meet you via your blog. Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I am made richer by your being here. Please leave us a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin