July 11, 2011

Grain-Free, Nut-Free Pizza Crust and Stevia-Sweetened Pumpkin Sauce


Quite often when I ask my boys, "What would you like for dinner?"  the reply is "pizza or pot pie."  They love their pizza and for that reason I have really worked on this recipe for years and years making adjustments as knowledge, time and food sensitivities evolved. After all the years, we believe this pizza crust is best in its grain-free state.

I was delighted when my youngest son announced, after eating one of the commercial test-market gluten-free pizzas, that he liked my crust better than theirs.  But then he said, he liked their sauce better than mine. Well, with the sugar content and tomatoes in the competition, I didn't stand a chance, now did I? 

It's a good feeling to make those you love happy and nourish them all at the same time.

(This recipe is linked to Gluten-Free Wednesdays Blog Carnival hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker.)

Grain-Free, Nut-Free Pizza Crust - Allergy-friendly -No Gluten, Grains, Dairy, Nuts, Yeast, Eggs, Corn or Sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together with a wire whisk.  Set aside.

1 cup Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flour
3/4 cup Ener-G Tapioca Flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons Hain Featherweight Baking Powder 

Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk together..

1/4 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon coconut milk
1 Tablespoon Navita's Naturals chia seed  ground into meal.(I grind chia seed into meal with a  coffee grinder or you may purchase already ground)  Or: 1 large egg
1 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
11 drops of stevia liquid

Combine the wet and dry ingredients with a large spoon and stir well.

 I find if the dough is sticky when I first start spreading, after a while, the dough magically behaves. 

Place pizza dough onto a baking
sheet  that has been lined with parchment paper. Spread out the dough onto the paper with a spoon.

Pictured here is a 15 inch round pan.  Usually, I use a heavy 11 x 14 inch  stainless steel baking sheet to avoid non-stick finishes.  (See note at the bottom of the page.)

Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Remove crust from the oven and spoon sauce and add your favorite toppings on top of the crust.

Return pizza to the oven and bake again for 15-20 minutes.


Enjoy!
My favorite Meatball pizza!

Stevia-Sweetened Pumpkin Pizza Sauce

I am sharing my recipe for Pumpkin sauce along with a substitution for tomato sauce. One evening I quickly mixed this together and everyone liked it. Ah, and I wrote it down!  I share it with you, not because I have a special talent with making sauce, (Oh, dear, my Italian friends please look away!)  I share, because I know there are many who need to avoid tomatoes.  Hope this will get you started on creating a safe pizza.  Enjoy!

approximately 7 oz. of Libby's pumpkin puree (about 1/2 can)*
1/2 cup water
pinch of sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoon pizza seasoning
1/2 teaspoon oregano
7 drops liquid stevia 

*May substitute with 1/2 jar of Bionature Tomato Paste (7 ounce size)

Note:  I do not advocate using non-stick bakeware due to the chemicals that are released when the pans are heated. I threw out or gave away all of my suspicious pans except this one.  I have been using a stainless steel baking sheet for making this pizza to avoid the non-stick finish. Recently when I cleaned out my kitchen, I found this round non-stick pizza pan lurking in the oven drawer.  I decided to test my pizza recipe with it to see how it would work in a round pan just in case  my readers wanted to know. 

It was much easier to fit in a photo, so I decided to post them anyway.   Well, the crust was perfect.  Now I don't know if it is because of the holes in the bottom of the pan that allow air to reach the crust or if it  might be from the darker surface that make the crunchy crust. I would love to have your comments about how you solve these issues in your kitchen.

In case you want to learn more about the dangers of non-stick bakeware you may read more here.

20 comments:

  1. This sounds really great Debbie! I like the idea of your pumpkin pizza sauce too. I have mashed a baked sweet potato for a pizza sauce and Sophie really likes that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I know I'd love this pizza and sauce, Debbie! :-) But can you believe I still can't get pumpkin in my local grocery store?

    Hugs,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I like your idea of a sweet potato in place of sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirley,

    There were times last year when I had trouble locating pumpkin puree, too. This year has been better. I am surprised that you can not find it in your area.
    If you need me to ship you some just let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss this recipe?? I'm going to try this with sweet potato puree! I've been testing out tons of pizza crust recipes for the cookbook that have eggs in it (since the cookbook is for the general population) but since I'm sensitive to eggs, it's torture for me. I'll look forward to making this and being able to enjoy pizza again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Iris, I like your idea to use sweet potato puree. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, very creative recipe ideas here. And your crust looks like a "real" pizza crust. =) It looks wonderful. Love the idea of pumpkin sauce as I'm not a fan of tomato sauce. I typically use olive oil or butter mixed with garlic for my "sauce" but this is a great alternative. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your sweet words. We have to be creative to work around our food sensitivities! ;) Pumpkin is a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really delicious. But I'm curious: isn't quinoa considered a grain?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forgot to say I love the idea of pumpkin sauce on pizza. Will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks. This is a great question. I wondered the same as you.

    Quinoa is not a grain. Here is what Wikipedia says... "It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, or grain, as it is not a member of the grass family. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beets, spinach, and tumbleweeds."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi I can't wait to try this! We love pizza! I was wondering if the liquid stevia can be sub with pure maple syrup and if so how much would instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you could sub maple syrup, but as to how much? I really can not predict the outcome of adding more liquid to this recipe. If you try maple syrup I would love to know how it turns out. It may burn with that sugar added, I just don't know.

      Delete
  13. Wow thank you! I've been looking for a yeast free/gluten free pizza dough recipe. I will try this. I'm on a low carb diet so cannot have pumpkin or sweet potatoes as they have a lot of sugar. I will probably substitute pesto for the sauce. Suggestion: Use a pizza stone (about $15 at Costco) it makes a perfect crust.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! I appreciate your commenting. Thanks for the pizza stone idea. Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a food sensitivity to quinoa, what other flour would you suggest? Maybe rice or soy flour? Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, my. I don't know of a sub for the quinoa flour. Sorry I can not give you an answer to your question.

    ReplyDelete
  17. did you use dry measurement for all the ingredients? When I tried this it came out like soup not dough. I used wet measuring tools for the wet ingredients and dry measuring cups for the dry ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! I used both wet and dry measuring cups for this recipe so I do not know why you came up with soup! I am so sorry it did not work for you. Please email me if you want to compare ingredients etc...

      Delete

I am made richer by your being here. Please leave us a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin